advertisement
February 6, 2012 | last updated February 7, 2012 11:26 am

Three Blockbuster locations appear slated to close

Three Blockbuster video rental locations in Maine are apparently slated to close, though a spokeswoman for parent company Dish Network wouldn't confirm the closures.

Signs at Blockbuster locations in South Portland and Lewiston announce the stores' impending closure, according to the Portland Press Herald. Linda Valentino, owner of the South Portland building, said Blockbuster will move out by the end of April, while a store employee in Lewiston said that location will shutter Feb. 19. A location in Westbrook has been closed for renovations to accommodate a Chipotle Mexican Restaurant moving into half of its space, and WS Development, owner of the plaza, said Blockbuster will not reopen. The restaurant is expected to open Feb. 14. A property owner in Bangor and an employee in Yarmouth said both Blockbuster locations there will remain open.

Dish Network bought Blockbuster for $320 million after the company went into bankruptcy last year with plans to close about 10% of its stores, a figure that Dish revised to include more stores in January. Danielle Johnson of Dish Network did not release details about plans for individual stores, but said the company will only keep open those locations that it believes can operate profitably. The company will instead focus on its DVDs-by-mail service.

Comments

Type your comment here:

Today's Poll Do you think Maine should raise its renewable energy requirements?<>
ADVERTISEMENTS
Most Popular on Facebook